[Salon] Fwd: The Cradle: "Trump receives CENTCOM briefing on 'short, powerful' attacks on Iran." (4/30/26)




Trump receives CENTCOM briefing on 'short, powerful' attacks on Iran: Report

Washington is once again looking to form a naval coalition aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz

US President Donald Trump is set to receive a briefing from CENTCOM on a series of options for renewed attacks against Iran, two informed sources told the news outlet Axios on 29 April. 

The president is due to receive the briefing on Thursday.

CENTCOM has readied a “short and powerful” wave of strikes on Iran, “likely including infrastructure targets – in hopes of breaking the negotiating deadlock.”

“The hope would be that Iran would then return to the negotiating table showing more flexibility on the nuclear issue. Another plan expected to be shared with Trump is focused on taking over part of the Strait of Hormuz to reopen it to commercial shipping. Such an operation could include ground forces,” the sources said.

A separate option is “a special forces operation to secure Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium.” Iranian media had said weeks ago that the US pilot rescue mission in Iran was in reality a cover for a failed incursion aimed at finding uranium in Isfahan.

Trump told Axios this week that he sees the naval blockade as more effective than airstrikes.

“Trump currently sees the blockade as his primary source of leverage, but he would consider military action if Iran still won't cave. US military planners are also considering the possibility Iran will take military action against US forces in the region in retaliation for the blockade,” the sources went on to say.

Tehran has already retaliated in kind to the seizure of its vessels and has openly declared it is considering further action.

The Axios report coincides with another by Reuters, citing a State Department cable that says Washington is again seeking to form a coalition aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz. 

According to the report, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has approved the establishment of the Maritime Freedom Construct (MFC) – a joint initiative by the State Department and the Pentagon.

“The MFC constitutes a critical first step in the establishment of a post-conflict maritime security architecture for the Middle East. This framework is essential to ensuring long-term energy security, protecting critical maritime infrastructure, and maintaining navigational rights and freedoms in vital sea lanes,” the cable read. 

“The component of the initiative led by the State Department would serve as the diplomatic hub between partner countries and the shipping industry, while the Pentagon component operating out of CENTCOM headquarters in Florida would coordinate real-time maritime traffic and communicate directly with vessels transiting the Strait,” it added. 

US embassies will reach out to partners on the matter by 1 May, but not to Russia, China, Belarus, Cuba, and “other US adversaries,” the cable says. 

“Participation could be in the form of diplomacy, information sharing, sanctions enforcement, naval presence, or other forms of support. We welcome all levels of engagement and do not expect your country to shift naval assets and resources away from ⁠existing regional maritime constructs and organizations.”

Trump had previously tried to secure participation from nations for a coalition to reopen the strait, but was rejected by several states, including France, which said it would only be willing to participate once the war is over. 

Paris is said to be working on a “strictly defensive” endeavor to assist navigation through the strait. 

Iran has vowed to heavily confront any renewed aggression by the US and Israel. 

A high-ranking Iranian security source told Press TV on Wednesday that Tehran will soon use “practical and unprecedented military action” if Washington’s “piracy” does not come to an end. 

“Iran's armed forces – operating under the Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters as the war command – believe that patience has limits and that a punishing response is necessary if Washington maintains its illegal naval blockade around the Strait of Hormuz,” the source added.



This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.